Barangay Piapi is located on the northern part of Dumaguete. It has a land area of 87 hectares The population of Piapi is around 6,500 residents. The office of Negros Oriental Tourism and the Sidlakan Village are located in Piapi. The younger Dumagueteños spend many nights at Piapi beach, where several open-air clubs, restaurants and hang-outs are located.
Brief History of Barangay Piapi
Barangay Piapi got its name from a forest tree which is called “Piapi”. This tree bear edible nut hence it is well known to the people of the barrio and surrounding places, as this tree is found in the locality which made the place distinct from other places the people always remembered it until the place became known by the name “Piapi”.
North City Elementary School
North City Elementary School, formerly Piapi Pilot School was established in 1934. Today it has over 1,000 pupils. There are 30 classes of which there are 5 classes in each grade level. North City Elementary School caters three barangays namely Piapi, Bantayan and Daro.
Barangay Piapi has four Public Elementary Schools: and one Public High School.
“Bangakaton Festival” (Every 29th of June (Patron: San Pedro)