Pamplona – Negros Oriental
Pamplona is a municipality in Negros Oriental located about 38 kilometres from the Negros oriental capital city of Dumaguete. Its one of the only three municipalities in Negros Oriental that doesn’t have a shoreline. The municipality is bordered by the municipality of Sta Catalina to the west, Tanjay to the north, Sibulan to the south and Amlan to the east. The main language spoken in Pamplona is a local dialect of the Filipino language known as Cebuano, however English is also widely spoken as it is the official language (together with Filipino) of the country.
Brief History of Pamplona
This municipality was created by the Republic Act No 535 in 1950 from the municipality of Tanjay. It officially became a municipality on June 16th 1950 whereby it was initially a barrio of the Tanjay municipality. It has a population of 34,000 as per its 2010 census count with a population density of about 173 people per kilometers square. This municipality covers an area of about 200 kilometers square with most of these area being hilly.
Getting to Pamplona
Pamplona is one of the municipalities that is not located along the shore lines of Negros Oriental. Up in the chilly breeze of the mountains, Pamplona lies about 38 km away from the busy street of Dumaguete.
One way in getting to Pamplona at the same time enjoy the Filipino lifestyle experience is first getting to Tanjay City. Ceres bus will charge (about Php 50-air conditioned and Php 40-non-air conditioned) for the 30- minute ride going to Tanjay. Upon reaching Tanjay, one can simply ride a pot-pot (local bicycle rides) that costs about Php 10.00 only going to Pamplona. The ride takes about another 10-15 minutes uphill, enough time for you to have a relaxing and sight-seeing ride in a pot-pot.
Barangays of Pamplona Negros Oriental
(barangays being the smallest administrative division in the Philippines). Roman Catholic is the religion practiced by most people with about 80% percent of the population practicing it. The other 20% is shared by Muslim and other Christian religions.
Economy of Pamplona
The municipality is mainly an agricultural area with the main cash and food crops being coconuts, sugar and bananas. Other crops which are grown in this area include rice and corn, however this are only grown in small scale terms by some farmers. Farmers also keep cows, sheep’s, goats and chicken to supplement the agricultural activities.
Points of Interest and Tourist Spots in Pamplona
Pamplona is blessed with tourist attractions site like the Palaypay Falls located some 12 kilometers from Poblacion at Barangay Abante. This sulfuric waterfall is a main tourist attraction and is fed by rivers originating from the mountains of Sibulan. There are also mountain ridges with one of the main attraction being the Nabalabag ridge located at 800 meters above sea level. Other tourist attractions in this municipality include resorts with the Pamplona Plantation Golf and tourism estate being the main attraction; there are also swimming pools and verdant fairways.
Festivals in Pamplona
At least once a year during the month of October for about 10 days, the Kasulad festival is held. During this festival farmers using showcase their agricultural products. There are also street dances and an industrial fair where the town showcases its resources. “Kasulad festival” is Celebrated every 2nd week of December.
Education on Pamplona
The municipality has about one primary school per barangay with only three secondary schools serving the whole of the area. The municipality is well covered by paved roads making travel easier for visitors.
Weather in Pamplona
Pamplona has an average rainfall of between 12 and 170 millimeters of rain with April being the driest month and October being the rainiest. The temperature ranges between 24 degrees centigrade for the cooler months to around 34 degrees centigrade for the hot months.
Useful Contacts of Municipality of Pamplona
Mayor’s Office +63917 7170 182
Pamplona Municipal Civil Registrar Head: Beatriz V. Bamlaygas, 0917 634 8513
Pamplona Municipal Budget Office Head: Maria Neri M. Salazar, 0917 702 9603
Pamplona Municipal Accountant Office Head: Jera C. Baldado, 0917 477 6360
Pamplona Municipal Agricultural Office Head: Necasio C. Benemerito, 0917 798 6173
Pamplona Municipal Social Welfare Office III: Elsie B. Academia, 0927 477 1977
Pamplona Municipal Engineer: Engr. Elvira Z. Abcede, 0917 596 1297
Pamplona Municipal Administrative Officer II: Rodney M. Lopez, 0916 782 3999
Pamplona Munucipal Human Resource Management Officer II: Donna Genara A. Piñero,
0920 452 2966 and 0915 256 8839
Office of the Sangguniang Bayan +63917 7170 183
Office of the Municipal Health Officers +63906 2575 948
Disaster Risk Reduction Management (DRRM) Office +63926 5765 944
Bureau Of Fire Protection +63921 4145 603
Pamplona Police Hotline +63917 5951 685 and 0927 983 3330
Pamplona Police email : email@example.com